Not All Advice Is Good Advice
There are many people that are more than willing to give you advice; the question is whether that advice has any value. How do you recognize the good advisors from the bad?
The 13 Signs telling you that this is the wrong person to be talking to:
- They tell you your dreams are too big.
- They tell you you do not have the skills.
- They tell you that you do not have enough money.
- They tell you that you do not know the right people.
- They tell you that you are from the wrong side of the tracks.
- They tell you that your ship has already sailed.
- They tell you that you are too lazy.
- They tell you that you do not have the education.
- They tell you that it cannot be done.
- They tell you that you are too old.
- They tell you that you are too young.
- They tell you that you failed previously, so what makes you think you can succeed this time.
- The first thing they say is why you cannot do it.
What these people are really telling you is that your dream or aspiration is too big for them and therefore it must be too big for you. They see themselves as being unable to meet the challenge and put in the work and therefore either they believe you cannot succeed or they simply do not want you to succeed.
People that have not been successful find it difficult to support people with dreams and goals. It is just not in to succeed themselves and therefore, they resent success in others.
Change Your Advisors
If this is the type of advice you are receiving; it is time to change your advisors. You will never accomplish those things you are capable of doing if you have naysayers hanging around your neck.
Find Solid Support
What you must do, not just need to do, is find solid support. Find people that can help you achieve your goals, either directly or through positive support.
Sure maybe your goals are a stretch today, but that does not mean that you cannot overcome educational, monetary, networking, and other challenges. If your dreams are real to you and you are willing to do what is necessary; do not let others stand in your way.
Zig Ziglar in some of his many books talks about people allowing themselves to be SNIOPed. SNIOP is allowing yourself to be Susceptible to the Negative Influence of Other People. You cannot allow others to have this power over you.